Do you have this problem? Every time when I need to migrate to another computer, I will be missing all those custom emoticons on Windows Live Messenger. The emoticons are not easily exportable. Finally, thanks to eHow, I managed to transfer them (with a little tweak to their instructions).
Lets get to the point. BTW, this is for Microsoft Windows 7 version.
How to Export Emoticons
On the computer that stores the emoticons
- Close the Windows Live Messenger program
- You can right click on the Windows Live Messenger icon to “exit” the program
- Click on “Start”. Type “cmd.exe“.
- It should show cmd.exe in the search. Click on it.
- If not, click on “Start”, Click “All Programs”, go to “Accessories” Folder.
- You can see “Command Prompt” program. Click on it
- Once you are at the Command Prompt (i.e. C:\Users\<your profile name>\), type “md\messengercontent” and enter
- You have now created a directory at the root directory (i.e. C:\messengercontent)
- This directory is to prepare you to copy entirely the emoticons into it.
- Type in this command “cd\c:\users\<your profile name>\local settings\microsoft\messenger\<your Windows Live ID>\Objectstore“
- Basically, this command is to go to the folder where the emoticons are stored.
- <your Windows Live ID> is usually your hotmail or email that you registered for the Windows Live Messenger.
- Once you successfully reach the Objectstore folder, type in this command “xcopy/s *.* c:\messengercontent” and press enter.
- This is to copy everything including folders from ObjectStore to the folder messengercontent that you have created previously.
- Exit the Command Prompt by typing “exit” and press enter.
- Navigate to the your c: drive on your computer and you should be able to locate messengercontent folder. Copy this folder into a thumb-drive.
On the computer that you want to transfer the emoticons
- Insert the thumb-drive that you had previously stored “messengercontent” folder.
- Check the drive number (might be E:\ or F:\).
- Go to Command Prompt
- Check Step 2 of the above if you are not sure how to go to Command Prompt
- At the command prompt, type “cd\c:\users\<your profile name>\local settings\microsoft\messenger\<your Windows Live ID>\objectstore” and press enter.
- Type in this command “xcopy/s <Your thumb-drive number>:\messengercontent\*.* ” and press enter
- Note that <your thumb drive number> might be drive E or F.
- This step is to copy everything from the folder messengercontent to the current location.
- Exit Command Prompt by typing “exit” and press enter
- Run Windows Live Messenger
Congrats! You have transferred the emoticons successfully. Hope that this instruction helps.
Disclaimer: I have successfully exported emoticons from a few computers using this method. However, this is just a guide and your computer system might differs from the above. Please use this guide at your own risk.