Received the Press Release from TomTom on their latest app for iPhone/iPad devices. The new TomTom App will be available within Q1 2012. With the new app, it integrates Facebook and Twitter into it. More information after the break.
If you look at the image above, you will not be able to recognize that it is a navigation app. With everyone (almost) on some social networks, it is no wonder that TomTom steers into this direction.
New to version 1.10 of the TomTom App for iPhone and iPad:
- Uses Facebook places, events and friends as a source of turn-by-turn navigation.
- Enables drivers to share their destination and arrival time on Twitter, Facebook, by email and SMS text.
Of course, it still maintains the function of the old app like:
- The latest, most accurate maps available – with no need for a mobile signal or data plan.
- Free daily map changes from the TomTom community through Map Share.
- Reliable arrival times at all times of day with IQ Routes.
- Real-time camera alerts via TomTom Speed Cameras.
- A powerful search with Google™ and Facebook.
- Clear turn-by-turn guidance while on the phone thanks to iOS Multitasking support.
- Seamless integration with contacts, photos, music, email and calendar.
What do you think? I am worried about people getting too engrossed with these social networks and not drive carefully.
Click on the link below to see the Press Release
CES preview: TomTom App for iPhone/iPad goes social
SINGAPORE, 11 January 2012 – TomTom today previews the latest version (v1.10) of the TomTom App for iPhone and iPad. The new version integrates TomTom navigation with Facebook™ and Twitter™ allowing users to navigate to friends, places and events more easily. Customers who already have the App will be able to download the new features for free.
The TomTom App for iPhone and iPad will be the first to use social networks as a source for turn-by-turn navigation. It can automatically plan routes based on information from Facebook events, places and friends. Drivers can also use the App to share their destination and arrival time on Twitter, Facebook, by email and SMS text.
“According to recent studies, the vast majority of iPhone users use Facebook on their iPhone” says Corinne Vigreux, Managing Director Consumer at TomTom. “By integrating Facebook features into our TomTom App we make navigating to places, events and seeing friends even easier.”
The new TomTom App will be available within Q1 2012.
– ENDS –
TomTom is a global supplier of location and navigation products and services. We provide consumers and enterprise, government and automotive industry customers with digital maps, traffic intelligence, navigation software, portable navigation devices, automotive systems, fleet management services, smartphone apps, fitness devices, POIs and speedcam intelligence.
Headquartered in Amsterdam, TomTom has over 3,500 employees and operates from 50 locations in 35 countries.
TomTom (AEX: TOM2) is listed on NYSE Euronext. More information can be found at www.tomtom.com. For the most up-to-date route planner, including live traffic information please visit www.tomtom.com/