I did not see this coming. I thought I read it wrong. Welcome, Apple iPod Touch to 2019. The 4-inch iPod Touch is available now from USD199 (32GB) in these countries – Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, the UAE, UK and US.
While you thought that big screen size is important today, especially for video consumption, the Apple iPod Touch has only a 4-inch screen.
Surprisingly, Apple did not change much on the look since the last iPod Touch. The only changes are internal specs and the camera (8MPX). BTW, it does not have a SIM card slot. It is connected via WiFi and is using Bluetooth 4.1 (not Bluetooth 5.0).
Two interesting things that caught my eyes are Apple Arcade and AR (Augmented Reality).
Apple Arcade will be available later this year.
Singapore is NOT on the list of countries during this time. So, you will have to wait to get it. There are 3 capacities – 32GB, 128GB and 256GB at USD199, USD299 and USD399 respectively.
I am not sure which group of people Apple is targeting. Maybe, serious music lover who wants a light device with good battery life will love it. Will you buy it?
Here are the specifications of the 2019 Apple iPod Touch.
Finish: Space Grey, Gold, Silver, Pink, Blue Red (PRODUCT)RED
Size and Weight
- 123.4mm x 58.6mm x 6.1mm
- 4-inch (diagonal) widescreen display with Multi-Touch IPS technology
- 1136×640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi
- 800:1 contrast ratio (typical)
- 500 cd/m2 max brightness (typical)
- Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
- A10 Fusion chip
- 8-megapixel camera
- ƒ/2.4 aperture
- Five-element lens
- Hybrid IR filter
- Backside illumination
- Auto image stabilisation
- HDR for photos
- Exposure control
- Panorama (up to 43 megapixels)
- Burst mode
- Tap to focus
- Photo geotagging over Wi-Fi
- Timer mode
- Image formats captured: HEIF and JPEG
- 1080p HD video recording (30 fps)
- Tap to focus while recording
- Slow-motion video (120 fps)
- Time-lapse video
- Cinematic video stabilisation
- 3x zoom
- Video geotagging over Wi-Fi
- Video formats recorded: HEVC and H.264
FaceTime HD camera
- 1.2-megapixel photos
- ƒ/2.2 aperture
- 720p HD video recording
- Backside illumination sensor
- Auto HDR for videos
- Burst mode
- Exposure control
- Timer mode
- 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi‑Fi
- Bluetooth 4.1 wireless technology
- Maps: Location-based service3
- Audio formats supported: AAC-LC, HE-AAC, HE-AAC v2, Protected AAC, MP3, Linear PCM, Apple Lossless, FLAC, Dolby Digital (AC-3), Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3) and Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX and AAX+)
- User-configurable maximum volume limit
TV and Video
- Video formats supported: HEVC, H.264, MPEG-4 Part 2 and Motion JPEG
- AirPlay Mirroring, photos and video out to Apple TV (2nd generation or later)4
- Video mirroring and video out support: up to 1080p through Lightning Digital AV Adapter and Lightning to VGA Adapter (adapters sold separately)4
- Use your voice to send messages, set reminders and more
- Get intelligent suggestions on your Lock screen and in Messages, Mail, QuickType and more
- Use hands-free6
- Use your voice to run shortcuts from your favourite apps
External Buttons and Connectors
Power and Battery7
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Music playback time: Up to 40 hours
- Video playback time: Up to 8 hours
- Three-axis gyro
- iOS is the world’s most personal and secure mobile operating system, packed with powerful features that help you get the most out of every day.
Accessibility features help people with disabilities get the most out of their new iPod touch. With built-in support for vision, hearing, physical and motor skills, and learning and literacy, you can create and do amazing things.
- Siri and Dictation
- Type to Siri
- Switch Control
- Closed Captions
- Speak Screen
- Apple EarPods
In the Box
- iPod touch
- Apple EarPods
- Lightning to USB Cable
- Quick Start guide
- Available space is less and varies due to many factors. A standard configuration uses approximately 10GB to 12GB of space (including iOS and pre‑installed apps) depending on the model and settings. Pre-installed apps use about 4GB, and you can delete these apps and restore them.
- Weight varies by configuration and manufacturing process.
- For iPod touch with Maps, the Maps application provides your approximate location using information based on your proximity to known Wi-Fi networks (when on and available). The more accurate the available information, the smaller the circle identifying your position on the map. The feature is not available in all areas. Known Wi-Fi networks are predominantly in urban areas. In order to provide your location, data is collected in a form that does not personally identify you. If you do not want such data collected, do not enable the feature. Not enabling the feature will not impact the functionality of your iPod touch.
- Standard Dynamic Range video content only.
- Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Internet access is required.
- Requires connection to power.
- Testing conducted by Apple in April 2019 using pre-production iPod touch (7th generation) hardware and software. The playlist consisted of 358 unique audio tracks purchased from the iTunes Store (256-Kbps AAC encoding); video content was a repeated 2-hour 23-minute movie purchased from the iTunes Store. All settings were default except: audio was routed to wired headphones; Wi-Fi was associated with a network; the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto-Brightness were turned off. Battery tests are conducted with specific iPod units; actual results may vary. Battery life and number of charge cycles vary by use and settings. See www.apple.com/sg/batteries for more information.
- Remote and mic are not included.
- iPod and iTunes are for legal or rightholder-authorised copying only. Don’t steal music.
- Some features may not be available for all countries or all areas. View the complete list.
Here is the Press Release.
New iPod touch Delivers Even Greater Performance
Featuring Support for Group FaceTime and AR Experiences
CUPERTINO, California — May 28, 2019 —Apple® today introduced the new iPod touch® with enhancements to power, capability and communication at a remarkable price. The Apple-designed A10 Fusion chip brings improved performance in games, and for the first time on iPod®, immersive augmented reality (AR) experiences and Group FaceTime®, making it easy to chat with family members, friends or colleagues simultaneously. The new iPod touch is available to order onapple.com/sg and in the Apple Store® app starting today and in stores later this week.
“We’re making the most affordable iOS device even better with performance that is twice as fast as before, Group FaceTime and augmented reality starting at just $199,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of Product Marketing. “The ultra-thin and lightweight design of iPod touch has always made it ideal for enjoying games, music and so much more wherever you go.”
iPod touch comes in a new 256GB capacity, giving plenty of space to download music for offline listening through Apple Music® or the iTunes Store®. With Apple Music, subscribers can access a catalog of over 50 million songs, thousands of playlists, Beats 1 Radio and daily editorial selections from the world’s best music experts. Subscribers can create their own playlists, watch music videos, listen to exclusive Beats 1 shows from their favourite artists on demand and share music with their friends. Now available in over 100 countries, Apple Music offers the most comprehensive music experience ever.
iOS is the world’s largest gaming platform, and with three times faster graphics, games on the new iPod touch run even smoother and look even more beautiful. This fall gamers can look forward to Apple Arcade, a game subscription service with over 100 new and exclusive games with no ads or additional purchases, and the ability to download games for offline play. Apple Arcade is the perfect complement to the already enormously popular catalog of free games on the App Store®.
The new iPod touch also provides fun and productive AR experiences across gaming, education and web browsing. AR is even more engaging and immersive with the new capabilities of shared AR, persistent AR, which is tied to a specific location, and image detection, making it possible for the new iPod touch to magically bring to life 3D objects like toys and sculptures.
Pricing and Availability
- The new iPod touch starts at S$299 for the 32GB model, S$469 for the 128GB model and S$639 for the 256GB model from apple.com/sg, in the Apple Store app and Apple Stores, and is also available through Apple Authorised Resellers and select carriers (prices may vary). iPod touch is available in six finishes; space grey, white, gold, blue, pink and (PRODUCT)RED.
- The new iPod touch models are available to order starting today from apple.com/sg and in the Apple Store app in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, the UAE, UK and US.
Apple revolutionised personal technology with the introduction of the Macintosh in 1984. Today, Apple leads the world in innovation with iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch and Apple TV. Apple’s four software platforms — iOS, macOS, watchOS and tvOS — provide seamless experiences across all Apple devices and empower people with breakthrough services including the App Store, Apple Music, Apple Pay and iCloud. Apple’s more than 100,000 employees are dedicated to making the best products on earth, and to leaving the world better than we found it.