Great news to Motorola XOOM users in Singapore. Based on the Press Release, Motorola is rolling out Android 3.1 (from existing 3.0) from 29th July 2011. It will be Over the Air (OTA) so I guess there will be notification.
Motorola XOOMTM – The Honeycomb Buzz Continues with Android 3.1
Motorola collaborated with Google to develop the industry’s first Honeycomb tablet. Motorola has just announced that existing users of Motorola XOOM™ and Motorola XOOM™ WiFi in Singapore will receive an update from Android™ 3.0 to Android™ 3.1 over the air on July 29, 2011. This update provides exciting enhancements to enable users to get more from their Motorola XOOM and makes it even easier to create a PC-like environment for business users.
The most notable of the new features, the 3.1 update activates the SD card slot so users can expand the memory of their Motorola XOOM up to 64GB, with the addition of a 32GB SD card. This update also includes improved multi-tasking, providing instant visual access to a large number of applications as well as resizable home screen widgets.
Key highlights for Android 3.1 include:
- Improved multi-tasking providing instant visual access to a larger number of applications
- Resizable home screen widgets for Gmail, Calendar and Browser
- Both keyboard and mouse support, which allows simultaneous input for devices over Bluetooth® (in any combination)
- Support for most PC joysticks and gamepads that connect over USB or Bluetooth
- Picture transfer directly from camera, so users can connect their cameras over USB and import their pictures to the Gallery with a single touch
- New high-performance Wi-Fi lock lets applications maintain high-performance Wi-Fi connections even when the device screen is off
- Preloaded Adobe® Flash® Player, as well as File Manager.
The over-the-air upgrade will trigger a notification window with the option for users to download the update immediately or at a later date. It can thereafter be downloaded manually by going to “Settings > About Tablet > System Updates”. The upgrade is about 40MB in size. Other countries in Asia Pacific that will receive the same update include Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand and India.