Sony Ericsson has announced on their blog that they “have to” delay the roll out of Eclair (Android 2.1) to end-October and beyond for their Xperia range models. This is a real setback for SE.
Many makers are already providing OTA (Over the Air) updates of their handset to the latest Froyo (Android 2.2) and Sony Ericsson is still struggling to roll out Eclair (Android 2.1) update to Xperia users.
This news is really too much for some users to handle (I know because I know some SE users) even though they kept saying that the new update will see HD Recording (Xperia X10 only) and etc new features.
My opinion. If Timescape is taking too much of the time to integrate, leave it out. My friends has turned off Timescape as it is “time consuming”, although it looks nice.
BTW, in SE’s blog, it states that they will begin rolling out the update from end-October to various models and etc. To say that in layman terms, it means that most people will be waiting until November or beyond to get the update. Period.
Anyway, to pacify the users, SE blog summarized the new added features for each model of Xperia handset.
- HD video recording with continuous auto-focus for high quality videos
- Upgrade of the Android platform to Android 2.1
- New back up and restore application, with extended content back up
- 5 homescreens for apps, widgets, shortcuts and folders
- Social phonebook which automatically syncs contact pictures from Facebook and shows when your friends are online
Xperia X10 mini and X10 mini pro:
- Improved Bluetooth functionality with support for sending and receiving pictures, contacts and more
- New backup and restore application with extended content back up
- Automatic synchronization of your contact pictures between Facebook and your phone book
- Improved ways of handling pictures, audio, text and numbers in your messages
- Upgrade of the Android platform to Android platform 2.1
I think my words here are super kind for Sony Ericsson already. If you really want to hear what SE customers have to say to them, click the below link. Good luck, SE. I think you need it.