Samsung today officially unveils the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2, the successor of the Galaxy Fold that was launched 1 year ago. The Galaxy Z Fold2 is now slimmer and thinner, and better.
At first glance, you might not even notice the differences. However, if you dived into the details, you will start to notice them.
One of the significant changes is front screen. It is now at 6.2-inch instead of the older 4.6-inch.
And they have re-designed the hinge. It is called the Hideaway Hinge. You might want to know that Samsung first used them on the Galaxy Z Flip.
Here is a close-up look.
To prevent dirt and dust from getting inside, they have designed a sweeper that prevents the dust and dirt from reaching the inside.
Here are some pictures to show you how it looks like when the Galaxy Z Fold2 is folded.
Next, they improved the user experiences in the software with improved user experience by pairing Flex mode with App Continuity. And they made multi-tasking a better experience for users.
For Flex Mode, you can utilize the front screen as a normal screen or open the fold to continue what you are doing (app continuity) from the screen inside.
Here is an example of Flex Mode.
For Multi-tasking, they have Multi-Active Window, Multi-Window Tray, Drag and drop, Spilt Screen Capture, Screen Layout and Zoom as shown below.
The Galaxy Z Fold2 has 3 cmaeras on the rear. All of them are 12 MPX (Ultra Wide, Wide-Angle and Telephoto).
Here is the full specs of the Galaxy Z Fold2.
Here is a graphical presentation of the specifcations.
The Galaxy Z Fold2 will be available in Mystic Black and Mystic Bronze, in around 40 markets including the U.S. and Korea, on September 18, 2020, with pre-orders from September 1, 2020 starting with select markets including the U.S. and Europe.
Customized options will be available for users on Samsung.com in select markets with four distinct colors for the hinge: Metallic Silver, Metallic Gold, Metallic Red and Metallic Blue.
The Galaxy Z Fold2 Thom Browne Edition will be available for pre-order beginning September 1, 2020 in select markets with general availability on September 25.
Introducing the Galaxy Z Fold2: Change the Shape of the Future
The Galaxy Z Fold2 is Samsung’s third generation foldable device, pairing a stunning and bold design with refined engineering to push the boundaries of mobile experiences
SEOUL, KOREA – September 1, 2020 – Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd today unveiled the next generation of its category-defining foldable device, the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2. Packed with enhanced refinements and meaningful innovations, the Galaxy Z Fold2 delivers new foldable experiences for those who enjoy being on the cutting edge of technology. With a larger Cover Screen and massive Main Screen, the Galaxy Z Fold2 combines solid design and expert craftsmanship with intuitive new features for a unique mobile experience that offers the versatility that everyday life demands.
“Our journey towards the next generation of mobile devices is full of originality and innovation,” said Dr. TM Roh, President and Head of Mobile Communications Business, Samsung Electronics. “With the launch of the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2, we closely listened to user feedback to ensure we were bringing meaningful improvements to the hardware, while also developing new innovations to enhance the user experience. Further strengthened by our industry-leading partnerships with Google and Microsoft, we’re reshaping and redefining the possibilities of the mobile device experience.”
New Refined Design
The Galaxy Z Fold2 pairs bold design with advanced engineering so you can feel confident using it every day.
- Complete and Immersive Content Experiences1 – A 6.2-inch Infinity-O Cover Screen provides maximum usability so you can check email, look up directions, or even watch your favorite content without needing to unfold your device every time. When unfolded, the massive 7.6-inch Main Screen, with minimized bezels and notch-less Front Camera , immerses you with a 120Hz adaptable refresh rate for smooth scrolling and gameplay. To complete the experience, the Galaxy Z Fold2 comes with the best dynamic sound available on a Galaxy device to date, with enhanced stereo effect and clearer sound provided by high-dynamic dual speakers.
- Solid Design and Expert Craftsmanship – The Galaxy Z Fold2 is re-engineered with a sleek, unified design that delivers a smooth, high-end feel. Samsung Ultra Thin Glass is now on the Main Screen, providing a more premium and refined feel for the display. Its design is anchored by the Hideaway Hinge, which fits seamlessly into the device body with the CAM mechanism and enables free standing capabilities2 that power all new Flex mode experiences. Galaxy Z Fold2 also employs sweeper technology, first introduced on the Galaxy Z Flip, within the gap between the body and hinge housing to repel dust and undesirable particles. As Galaxy Z Fold2 features a third-generation refined design, the space for the sweeper structure is even smaller than on the Galaxy Z Flip. To achieve this, Samsung developed new innovative sweeper technology to achieve the same level of protection in a smaller space. The Galaxy Z Fold2 Hideaway Hinge features revolutionary slim cutting technology, modified fiber composition and adjusted fiber density.
- Customizable to Match Your Style – For those looking to stand out even more, Samsung is offering an online tool to customize your Galaxy Z Fold2 with four distinct Hideaway Hinge colors – Metallic Silver, Metallic Gold, Metallic Red, and Metallic Blue. Now you can create the Galaxy Z Fold2 that perfectly complements your unique style, adding a personalized touch to premium design3.
Capture and View Exactly How You Want
The innovative foldable form factor and its sophisticated design are taken to the next level with unique mobile experiences on the Galaxy Z Fold2. The Galaxy Z Fold2 pairs Flex mode4 with App Continuity5 to provide expanded usability, crossing the boundary between the Cover and Main Screen. This flexibility enables you to create or view content that is curated to your exact preferences, from folded to unfolded.
- A Device That is as Flexible and Productive as You Are – With Flex mode, it’s now easier than ever to capture content and review in real time. With Capture View Mode6, now you won’t have to leave the Camera app. Clearly see the photo or video you just took or review up to five of your most recent captures on the bottom half of the Main Screen, and the preview of your next shot will be on the top half. Or take your creativity one step further with Auto framing7. Whether you’re jumping in on the latest social dance or showing off your cooking skills, the Galaxy Z Fold2 can record hands-free video and keep the subject in focus even when it moves.
- Features to Support Your Creativity – Rethink content capturing by incorporating both the photographer and subject’s perspective into getting the shot. Using the Main and Cover Screen at the same time with Dual Preview, both parties can see what’s being captured. What’s more, thanks to the Galaxy Z Fold2’s flexibility, take a high-quality selfie with the rear cameras with the Cover Screen acting as the viewfinder.
- Flagship Camera Features – The Galaxy Z Fold2’s camera also offers flagship-level camera quality and control. With Pro Video mode8, Single Take9, Bright Night10 and Night Mode, the Galaxy Z Fold2 helps you capture the moment in stunning quality.
Maximize Every Moment
The Galaxy Z Fold2 aligns next generation mobile productivity with advanced multitasking capabilities thanks to new intuitive ways to interact. Get the most out of your day by tailoring the Galaxy Z Fold2’s tablet-sized Main Screen to fit in with your working style.
- Seamless Multitasking – Use advanced Multi-Active Window11 to control your screen layout with more ease and flexibility. Experience more productivity now that you can open multiple files from the same app at the same time and view them side by side12. With an improved Multi-Window Tray, you can open multiple apps at once with the integration of App Pair and the Edge Panel to enjoy added convenience. With drag and drop13, you can simply drag text, images and documents from one app to another for instant transfer. Or quickly screen capture in one app and transfer the captured image into another seamlessly with Split Screen Capture.
- Optimized App Interactions to Support Your Flow – Choose the most optimized UI on the Main Screen to suit your needs. Quickly and easily switch layouts between a large screen layout or traditional phone layout in the Settings14.
- Optimized App Display– Maximize every moment in your daily life and upgrade the viewing experience of your favorite apps, including Gmail, YouTube and Spotify. Use the Main Screen with Office apps in Microsoft 365 to mimic the tablet experience. For example, use Microsoft Outlook to its true potential by viewing your inbox on the left side with current conversations at the same time. Draft Word documents, Excel spreadsheets or PowerPoint presentations with PC-like toolbar arrangements.
Galaxy Leadership Strengthened by Strategic Partnerships
Samsung has an open and collaborative approach to partnerships. Through a long-standing partnership with Google, Samsung established an open ecosystem for foldable devices. With this partnership, Samsung has fostered foldable UX innovation to realize the goal of creating the ultimate form factor. Furthermore, a trusted partnership with Microsoft, combined with the Galaxy Z Fold2’s advanced hardware and large screen experience, allows users to maximize their productivity in mobile environments.
Building on its longstanding legacy of Galaxy leadership, Samsung once again pushes the boundaries of mobile innovation and engineering. With the Galaxy Z Fold2, users can access ultra-fast speeds thanks to its full 5G15 band compatibility, while the 4,500mAh All Day Battery16 and Super Fast Charging17 means you can do more without worrying about your battery life. Galaxy Z Fold2 also offers Samsung DeX wireless connection18 for clutter free work productivity, while UWB (Ultra Wide Band)19 technology is integrated into the device making it quick and easy to share files, photos or videos with Nearby Share.20
Innovative Technology Meets Refined Design: The Galaxy Z Fold2 Thom Browne Edition
Samsung and Thom Browne continue their collaboration to deliver a unique vision of innovative technology and refined design with the Galaxy Z Fold2 Thom Browne Edition. Following the success of the Galaxy Z Flip Thom Browne Edition, the second release further explores its shared ethos to provide a deeper level of hardware and software integration. The geometric grey and signature multicolor stripe is complemented by a grosgrain pattern, creating a visual texture of fabric on Galaxy Z Fold2’s unique design. Software additions, including a new lock screen and exclusive photo filter, digitize the Thom Browne world and bring a sense of luxury into every interaction.
Each Thom Browne Edition Package includes the Galaxy Z Fold2, Galaxy Watch3, Galaxy Buds Live and an array of fully customized accessories all featuring elements of Thom Browne’s iconic design.
Galaxy Z Premier Service
Galaxy Z Fold2 users can access Galaxy Z Premier Service: With on-demand concierge support from a dedicated team of product experts21, it will now be easier than ever to make appointments, connect one-on-one with experts, and discover how to unlock the unique experience the Galaxy Z Fold2 enables. Galaxy Z Fold2 owners can also sign up for Samsung Care+, which provides one-time device protection against accidental damage within one year of purchasing date.22 Galaxy Z Fold2 users will also be provided the best mobile experiences possible by supporting three generations of Android operating system (OS) upgrades.23
The Galaxy Z Fold2 will be available in Mystic Black and Mystic Bronze, in around 40 markets including the U.S. and Korea, on September 18, 2020, with pre-orders from September 1, 2020 starting with select markets including the U.S. and Europe. Customized options will be available for users on Samsung.com in select markets24 with four distinct colors for the hinge: Metallic Silver, Metallic Gold, Metallic Red and Metallic Blue.
The Galaxy Z Fold2 Thom Browne Edition will be available for pre-order beginning September 1, 2020 in select markets with general availability on September 25.
1 Display measurements are diagonal, and actual viewable area is less due to rounded corners and camera hole punch.
2 Galaxy Z Fold2 can stand on its own from 75 to 115 degrees; a broader range of angles may be accessible for users depending on environment and use case
3 Hinge customization will be available through online on Samsung.com in 21 select markets starting from September 1st, 2020 (Available markets: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, UAE, United Kingdom, United States and Vietnam).
4 Flex mode is supported by Samsung native apps (Camera, Video call, Gallery, Video player, Clock, Calendar, Calculator) and other partner apps including YouTube, Google Duo and more to come.
5 App Continuity works with select applications; compatible apps growing through third party developers.
6 Capture View Mode also available when fully unfolded. To use, press “Capture View Mode” located in the right upper portion of the Camera UI.
7 When more than 3 people are detected, the frame zooms out. Front (wide) and Rear (Ultra-wide) Cameras are available. Trackable distance is approximately 1.5 – 2.5 meters. This machine learning algorithm detects human face and body to track the subject’s movement.
8 Galaxy Z Fold2 does not support 8K video recording (4K max).
9 Single Take captures images and video up to 15 seconds.
10 Only for Wide-angle Rear Camera.
11 Users can also use Multi-Active Window on the Cover Screen with two windows split horizontally. Multi Active Window works with select applications; compatible apps growing through third party developers.
12 Currently available with three native apps including Samsung Notes, Internet, Myfiles and Office apps in Microsoft 365. (Currently only available between different functions).
13 Drag and drop functionality works with select applications, including Samsung native apps including Gallery, Internet, Message, Myfiles, Samsung Notes and others including Office apps in Microsoft 365, Microsoft OneDrive, Microsoft Outlook, Gmail, Chrome, Google Maps.
14 Available with 11 Samsung native apps including Message, Contacts, Phone, Myfiles, Internet, Calendar, Clock, Video call, Reminder, Calculator, AR zone, Google apps such as YouTube, Gmail, Google Maps, Microsoft apps including Microsoft Outlook and other third-party apps such as Spotify.
15 5G speeds vary and require optimal network and connection (factors include frequency, bandwidth, congestion); see carrier for availability.
16 Estimated against the usage profile of an average/typical user. Independently assessed by Strategy Analytics between 2020.07.25–2020.08.04 in UK with pre-release versions of SM-F916 under default setting using 5G Sub6 networks (NOT tested under 5G mmWave network). Actual battery life varies by network environment, features and apps used, frequency of calls and messages, number of times charged, and many other factors.
17 When using the included charger and cable.
18 Samsung DeX wireless connection is available on smart TVs that support Phone Screen mirroring only. (For the optimal experience, use on Samsung Smart TVs launched 2019 or later.)
19 Availability of UWB function may vary by market and/or by applicable law
20 Nearby Share availability may vary by market or carrier.
21 Galaxy Z Concierge service availability may vary by market. Full information on Galaxy Z Premier Service is available at Samsung.com.
22 Samsung Care+ for Galaxy Z Fold2 requires a free registration within 30days from the phone’s purchase date. Fees apply in case of a repair incident to claim for the one-time Samsung Care+ protection for Galaxy Z Fold2. Protection coverage and availability may vary by market. Full information on Galaxy Z Premier Service is available at Samsung.com.
23 Availability of Android OS upgrades and features may vary by device and market. Upgrade schedule will depend on factors including but not limited to complexity of the update, model, as well as market penetration and more.
24 Hideaway Hinge color customization will be available in 21 markets, including Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, UAE, United Kingdom, United States and Vietnam.
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung inspires the world and shapes the future with transformative ideas and technologies. The company is redefining the worlds of TVs, smartphones, wearable devices, tablets, digital appliances, network systems, and memory, system LSI and LED solutions. For the latest news, please visit the Samsung Newsroom at http://news.samsung.com.