Google latest flagship phones, the Google Pixel 3 and Google Pixel 3 XL, was announced on Tuesday 11pm (Singapore Time) in New York. Right after that, Google Singapore launches both phones on Wednesday morning in a media event.
I was glad to be there to witness the launch. Check out this short video of the launch.
I love the way Google Singapore decorate the venue. It was segregated into zones and in each zone, it showcased one key feature of the Pixel 3.
Here is the zone for Top Shot, a feature that allows you to select the best shot after you have taken it.
And here is the Google Lens zone. Google Lens is now integrated into the camera. It is much easier to access Google Lens now. When you turn to an URL, it will create a link for you to jump to the URL. If it is a date, it will activate the Calendar.
The event is a summary of the New York event with introduction to the features of the Google Pixel 3.
I guess the media are more interested in the pricing and availability of the Pixel 3.
The Google Pixel 3 comes with the Pixel USB-C earbuds. This is definitely good news to those who are getting one.
The Pixel 3 will have 4 official covers. One of the more interesting ones is a customized cover with a photograph of your choice.
And during the event, it was announced that Singtel and StarHub are the official partners of the Google Pixel 3. Only Singtel has exclusive to the “Not Pink” color (although you can buy it at Google Store without telcos plan or contract).
Google Pixel 3 XL
Here are some first look at the Google Pixel 3 XL.
I still cannot understand the reason for such a big (and deep) notch. Unlike most Android phones, it does not have the option to hide it.
It has USB-C port which is now a common port in most flagship phones.
Here is one in white color.
On the side, it has the power on/off switch and the rocker volume switch.
Here is an estimation of the size of the device in my hand.
Google Pixel 3
If you do not like notch, I think Google Pixel 3 will be perfect for you. It has all the specs of the Pixel 3 XL but is smaller in size and without the notch.
This is the “Not Pink” color.
If you notice, the power button has different colors for the three colors of the phone.
Google Pixel Stand
The Google Pixel Stand is a high wattage Wireless Charging stand. At 10W, it is considered one of the highest (if not the highest) rating for wireless charging. When paired with a Pixel 3, it transforms the Pixel 3 into something else. You can set alarm clock (see the video above) and etc with it.
Price and Availability
Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL hits the shelves in Singapore on 1 November
The 5.5-inch Pixel 3 and 6.3” Pixel 3 XL will be available from 1st November. Both phones will come in three colors – Just Black, Clearly White and Not Pink. Both have the exact same feature set and comes with a USB-C Digital to 3.5 mm headphone adapter and a Pixel USB-C earbuds in the box.
Pixel 3 is available for pre-orders now on the Google Store and will be officially launching in-stores at Singtel and StarHub on 1 November. Singtel and StarHub customers will be able to purchase the Pixel 3 phones with plans from their carriers directly. Pixel 3 starts at S$1249 and Pixel 3 XL starts at S$1399. The Pixel Stand is priced at S$119.
Read the Press Release for more details.
Welcoming the Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL to Singapore
Latest line of Pixel smartphones powered by Google’s AI, hardware and software will be available on the Google Store and through Singtel and StarHub starting 1 November
Singapore, 10 October 2018 — Customers in Singapore can look forward to the launch of the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL, powered by artificial intelligence (AI) to provide a more helpful, thoughtful and enjoyable experience. With its new and improved features from the Pixel 2 XL launched last year. This year, Singaporeans will also have more options to purchase the new devices through Singtel, new carrier partner StarHub and Google’s own e-commerce store – Google Store – from 1 November.
Martin Geh, Managing Director, APAC Hardware Partnerships at Google said, “The response from Singaporeans for our Made by Google family of products has been great so far and we look forward to welcoming more Pixel users through our partnerships with Singtel and StarHub. With the Google Store, we’re offering a simple and easy way for consumers to purchase all our hardware products and accessories available in Singapore.”
Brilliant photos every time and super-charged selfies
With a commitment to create the best photography experience, the Pixel 3 helps you get the perfect shot on the first try.
Here’s how the best camera gets even better with Pixel 3:
- Capture smiles, not blinks: A feature we call Top Shot uses AI to help you capture the perfect photo every time. When you take a motion photo, it captures alternate shots in HDR+, then recommends the best one—even if it’s not exactly when you hit the shutter—looking for those where everyone is smiling, with eyes open, and facing the camera.
- Get better zoom: When you zoom in on a phone camera, the image looks grainy. Super Res Zoom is a computational photography technique, traditionally used for astronomy and scientific imaging, that produces sharp details when you zoom.
- No light; no problem: Pixel 3 lets you take natural-looking photos in dark surroundings, all without a flash. With Night Sight, coming soon to Pixel 3, you can take bright, detailed, colorful shots around the campfire, in a moonlit forest, or after you close out the bar.
- No selfie stick required: Get everyone in the picture with Group Selfie, which gives you 184 percent more room in your photo for friends and scenery.
- Look … no hands! Photobooth mode uses AI to recognize that when you’re smiling or making a funny expression, you’re ready for a selfie. It snaps the photo on its own so you don’t need to reach for the shutter button—a good option for candids.
- Even more stunning portraits, front and back: When you take photos in Portrait Mode, you can change the blurriness of the background, or change the part of the picture in focus, after the fact. Google Photos can also make the subject of your photo pop by leaving them in color, while changing the background to black and white.
- Create and play: In Playground, you can make photos, selfies and videos come to life by adding your favorite superheroes, animated stickers and fun captions. In celebration of Marvel Studios’ 10 Year Anniversary, you’ll enjoy seeing the characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe (exclusively on Pixel) react to each other and to you.
- Super smooth video: When you want to capture something that won’t stop moving—think an adorable toddler or your new puppy—Motion Auto Focus will make sure your Pixel 3 camera stays in sharp focus automatically, as you record. And if you happen to be taking a selfie video while walking or moving around, Pixel 3 brings you front-facing video stabilization.
Free unlimited online storage for all of your photos and videos
With Pixel 3, you can save all your favourite moments with free unlimited online photo and video storage. It’s hassle-free, you don’t have to think about back-ups. Come back to Google Photos later and search for the beach photos you took on your Pixel 3, and they’ll pop right up.
Search what is in front of you with Google Lens
The Pixel 3 phones allow you to do more with your camera by making it even easier to explore or take action on something you are looking at through Google Lens. If you want to know more about something you’re looking at, use Google Lens, built right into the Pixel 3 camera. To scan and translate text, find similar styles of clothing, or identify popular plants and animals, you can now long press in the Pixel 3 camera to easily open Google Lens. When you point your camera at information you want to remember or don’t feel like typing in—like a URL or QR code on a flyer or an email address on a business card—Google Lens suggests what to do next, like creating a new contact.
Fast and wireless charging
Pixel 3 comes with an 18 Watt fast charger in the box, which can give you 7h of use in 15 minutes of charging. With our AI-powered Adaptive Battery technique, Pixel 3 prioritizes battery power for your most important apps to make your phone last all day.
Alongside Pixel 3, we’re also introducing Pixel Stand, our new, Qi compliant wireless charger (sold separately). While charging on the Pixel Stand, your phone turns into a smart visual and audio experience powered by the Google Assistant. It answers your questions, plays music, becomes a control panel for your smart home, transitions into a photo frame when idle, and much more. If you set an alarm, your screen will gently brighten over 15 minutes before your alarm goes off, mimicking the sunrise and helping you wake up naturally.
Finding your balance with technology
To help ensure a balance with technology, the phones are in-built with Digital Wellbeing, a suite of tools to help you disconnect from your phone and focus more time with your loved ones. It includes a dashboard to help you better understand how you spend time on your phone, the ability to set time limits on specific apps, and a Wind Down mode to help you get to sleep at night with a greyscale screen. When you don’t want to be bothered by rings or notifications, just flip to Shhh—an easy gesture that turns on Do Not Disturb and minimizes distractions.
Added security and peace of mind
Pixel 3 is IP68 water and dust resistant and has a security chip custom-designed by Google called Titan M, making it the most secure phone we’ve built yet. Titan M enhances mobile security by protecting your unlock credentials, disk encryption, app data, and the integrity of the operating system code itself. It works in concert with Android OS and Hardware on Pixel to verify high assurance transactions such as fund transfers and mobile banking apps. Powered by Android 9 Pie, Pixel 3 comes with the latest Android operating system.
Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL hits the shelves in Singapore on 1 November
The Pixel comes in two sizes, the 5.5” Pixel 3 and the 6.3” Pixel 3 XL. Both phones will come in three colours – Just Black, Clearly White and a new colour, Not Pink. Both have the exact same feature set and comes with a USB-C Digital to 3.5 mm headphone adapter and high-quality Pixel USB-C earbuds in the box, allowing you to do more without having to touch your phone.
Pixel 3 is available for pre-orders starting 10 am today on the Google Store and will be officially launching in-stores at Singtel and StarHub on 1 November. Singtel and StarHub customers will be able to purchase the Pixel 3 phones with plans from their carriers directly. Pixel 3 starts at S$1249 and Pixel 3 XL starts at S$1399. The Pixel Stand is priced at S$119.
Google’s mission is to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful. Through products and platforms like Search, Maps, Gmail, Android, Google Play, Chrome and YouTube, Google plays a meaningful role in the daily lives of billions of people and has become one of the most widely-known companies in the world. Google is a subsidiary of Alphabet Inc.