If you have upgraded to Apple latest mobile OS, iOS 6, you will be missing the Google Maps and Youtube apps. Many are frustrated that the new Apple Maps is super inaccurate and there is no Google Maps app on iTunes store.
As you can see in the above picture, it seems that you have a Google Maps app on the Home Screen. This is not the case. What you have seen is just a link to the mobile Google maps on Safari.
Google has managed to present the mobile maps to look like an app. Here is how you can do it: –
- Go to Safari and key in http://maps.google.com
- It will usually go to the mobile site for Google Maps.
- If it is the first time you are visiting the page, it will give you a hint/tip on how to put the icon onto the Home Screen. If not, here is how you can do it.
- Wait until the maps completed the loading.
- Press the center icon on the bottom of the page and you will see this page below.
- Choose the “Add to Home Screen” option and there you go, you have a nice Google Maps icon on your home screen.
Basically, the mobile Google maps has layers (like in the app) and you can choose Satellite, Terrain, Traffic and Transit.
They are useful things that are missing from the Apple Maps app. I hope you enjoy this little tip.