If you are having an iOS or Android devices, you can access the mobile version of Google Maps on your browser. There is no need to download any apps to access it.
From Pocketnow, it seems that there is a slight differences in iOS and Android version. Android version seems to have more functionality.
And from Google Blog, it mentions the following features: –
- See your current location
- Search for what’s nearby with suggest and auto complete
- Have clickable icons of popular businesses and transit stations
- Get driving, transit, biking, and walking directions
- Turn on satellite, transit, traffic, biking, and other layers
- View Place pages with photos, ratings, hours, and more
- When signed into your Google account, access your starred locations and My Maps
You can use multi-touch to zoom in or out of the maps (on iPad that I tried). Here is a video by Pocketnow on the differences.