I am currently in Japan and when I fired up the Grab app, I was pleasantly surprised that it is supported in Hokkaido, Sapporo by Grab partners.
Based on Grab’s information, this new service which is covered by Grab’s partners, started in November 2019 (this month). It is currently available in selected cities in Japan and the Middle East.
Here are the countries/cities covered by Grab through the partnership
- Japan: Tokyo, Kyoto, Nagoya, Sapporo, Okinawa
- UAE: Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Al Ain, Ajman
- Qatar: Doha
- Iraq: Baghdad, Najaf, Erbil, Basrah
- Oman: Muscat
- Turkey: Istanbul, Bursa, Adana
- Jordan: Amman, Irbid, Aqaba
- Morocco: Casablanca, Rabat, Tangier
- Egypt: Cairo, Sahel, Alexandria, Gouna, Damanhour, Tanta, Mansoura, Hurghada, Port Said, Suez, Ismailia, Zagazig, Damietta, Banha, Asyut, Sokhna, Minya, Aswan, Menofia, Sohag, Beni Suef, Qena, Marsa Matruh, Luxor
- KSA: Riyadh, Dammam, Jeddah, Makkah, Jubail, Madinah, Al Hasa, Qassim, Taif, Ash, Shafa, Al Hada, Aseer, Alkharj, Jazan, Yanbu, Tabuk, Al Bahah, Hail, KAEC, Hafar, Albatin, Al Ula, Najran, Aljowf, Tihamah, Tabuk Governorates, Al Leith, Al Qunfudah, Wadi Al Dawasir, Sharurah
- Pakistan: Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad, Peshawar, Faisalabad, Hyderabad, Multan, Gujranwala, Sialkot, Abbottabad, Sargodha, Mardan, Sukkur, Quetta, Bahawalpur
- Bahrain: Manama
- Lebanon: Beirut, Jounieh
- Kuwait: Kuwait City
Currently, in Japan, I am using the same app instead of a separate app. Once I fire up the app, only “Transport” is available (usually, you can see Food Delivery and etc).
It is really convenient if I can book the trip with Grab and earn Grab points, and be able to see the pricing in Singapore Dollars.
Here are some examples between traveling via Grab and other means of transport.
For example, I am staying at La’gent Stay Sapporo Hotel. If I want to travel to Ishiya Chocolate Factory which where the famous Shiroi Koibito Park (白い恋人パーク) is, it will cost me S$45. However, if I travel via train from Odori Park Station to Miyanosawa Station, it only cost me 290 yen (S$3.65). However, do note the difference – you need to walk to the train station (a few minutes away from the hotel) and walk to the Shiroi Koibito Park (a few minutes away).
Here is another example. From hotel to New Chitose Airport. It will cost me S$223. But if I take a Limousine Bus there, it will cost me 1,100 yen (S$13.80).
So, in short, you have to pay the price for comfort. And if you read the small prints, you know that this Grab service is supported by JapanTaxi and Splyt.
Information added 24-Nov-2019 after clarifying with Grab: We would like to emphasise that Grab’s partnership is with Splyt and not with JapanTaxi or Careem. And through this partnership with Splyt, Grab users can now book rides in Japan and Middle East using the Grab app. Ride bookings are fulfilled by JapanTaxi in Japan, and Careem in the Middle East. Also, we are not expanding the services to Japan or Middle East.
I think the conveniences using Grab are:
- You pay the price in Singapore Dollar.
- You can order a taxi/car via the app at your comfort.
- You continue to earn Grab Points
Do note that the service is available to consumers in Singapore and the Philippines first. You can read all about the new Grab service HERE.