Sony today announced the Xperia Tablet Z tablet availability in the global market. It will be available from Q2 in 2013. This slim 10-inch tablet has IP55 and IP57 rating for water resistant, weighs less than 500 grams and has a thickness of only 6.9mm.
Here is the Specifications
Display and design
- Capacitive touchscreen with on-screen QWERTY keyboard
- Sony Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2
- Screenshot capturing
- 16 million colours, 1920 x 1200 pixels
- Wide colour gamut
- PlayStation Certified
- 3D games
- Video streaming
- Sony Entertainment Network (selected markets only)
- FM Radio with RDS
- TV launcher
Camera and video
- 8.1-megapixel camera
- 16x digital zoom
- Front-facing camera for video calls
- HD video recording (1080p)
- Exmor R for mobile image sensor
- HDR for both picture/film
- Continue Burst Mode
- Scene recognition
- Sweep Panorama
- Smile detection
- Face detection
- Touch focus
- Superior Auto
- Face unlock
- Screenshot capturing
- Wake-up mode
- IPX5/7 (Water-resistant) & IP5X (Dust-proof) 
Connectivity and communication
- Screen mirroring
- TV side view
- Remote control application
- HDMI via MHL support
- Wi-Fi and WiFi Hotspot functionality
- DLNA Certified
- Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
- USB High speed 2.0 and Micro USB support
- Xperia Link
- PC Companion
- 3.5 mm audio jack (CTIA)
- Synchronisation via Exchange ActiveSync, Google Sync and Facebook
- Media Go
- USB charging
- RAM: 2GB
- Flash memory: Up to 16 GB
- Expansion slot: microSD™ card, up to 64 GB 
- Google Chrome*
- Google Maps for Mobile with Street view and Latitude*
- Google Play*
- Google Wallet™
And the press release
Sony announces global availability of Xperia™ Tablet Z – the world’s slimmest 10” tablet
- Xperia Tablet Z is latest addition to premium familyof products
- Acclaimed flagship smartphone Xperia Z out now worldwide
February 26th 2013, SOUTH EAST ASIA – At the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Sony Mobile Communications (“Sony Mobile”) announced that Xperia Tablet Z – the slimmest* 10” tablet available – will launch globally in Q2 calendar 2013. Additionally, Sony’s flagship smartphone, Xperia Z will be available in selected South East Asia markets starting from March 2013.
Since it was announced in January, Xperia Z has won 13 awards and received the widest ranging of any Sony smartphone to date with 140 sales channels in 60 markets across the globe. Both products combine premium specifications with the best of Sony technology, entertainment, design and connectivity.
Premium Tablet Design
Xperia Tablet Z is the most premium, high performance 10.1” LTE Android tablet available. Built from quality materials and featuring the same stunning OmniBalance design as its smartphone sibling, Xperia Tablet Z is also incredibly slim and lightweight at 6.9mm and 495g. Available in black or white and in LTE and WiFi versions, it is the first tablet to run on Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ S4 Pro asynchronous quad core processor and has the highest levels of water resistance (IP55 & IP57) ever delivered in a tablet, making it immune to accidental spills and splashes.**
”Xperia Tablet Z sets new standards in entertainment by matching premium specifications and Sony technology with cross-device connectivity and a consistent user-experience,” said Jason Smith, Director of Marketing, Southeast Asia & Oceania, Sony Mobile Communications. “Xperia Tablet Z reinforces our intention to be a leading player in the premium Android device market, by building on the principles established by Xperia Z and perfectly optimising them for the tablet form factor.”
Integrated Sony Technology
Xperia Tablet Z includes the very best of Sony technology. With a 10.1” HD WUXGA Display, powered by Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2, it delivers enhanced colour reproduction for a brilliant TV-like viewing experience. It also draws upon Sony’s camera expertise with an 8MP rear camera featuring “Exmor R for mobile” as well as a 2MP HD front-facing camera for capturing the best images in any condition. Sony’s S-Force Front Surround 3D, guarantees soul-shaking audio performance alongside Sony’s Clear Audio+ mode and the innovative use of two in-built speakers with four ‘speaker halls’ on the left and right corners delivers amazing sound no matter how it is held. Xperia Tablet Z also includes Battery STAMINA mode, Sony’s unique battery management technology that can significantly improve standby time. The WiFi variant also offers up to 64GB of storage with an optional mircoSD card.
Seamless One-touch Connectivity
Xperia Tablet Z includes more connectivity options than any other tablet. It also includes Sony’s One-Touch functions that let users transfer content seamlessly from HD tablet to TV, tablet to speaker or phone to tablet just by touching them together. One-touch functions are a key component of Sony’s device range this year and no other consumer electronics company is bringing as many NFC-enabled products to market. The tablet’s Universal IR Remote allows users to control the TV and other Sony devices – as well as products from other manufacturers – directly from the tablet placing the device at the heart of the home. TV SideView is a new application that gives users an entirely new way to interact with the TV.***
Sony’s media applications
Sony’s signature media applications – “WALKMAN”, Movies and Album – allow users to enjoy, control and view content regardless of their device. The Sony Entertainment Network can also be accessed from these applications and includes Music Unlimited with more than 18 million songs and Facebook social integration as well as Video Unlimited with access to over 100,000 movies and TV series.****
Xperia Tablet Z Accessories
Xperia Tablet Z will launch with a number of accessories including a charging cradle, an LCD Screen Protector and Leather Carrying Cover that comes in Black, White or Red. These will be available from Sony stores or registered retailers.
Xperia Tablet Z will launch on Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) and is upgradable to 4.2 after launch for the latest Android user experience.
Key features for Xperia Tablet Z
- 10.1” HD 1920x1200p WUXGA Display with Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2
- S-Force Front Surround 3D
- The world’s thinnest design at 6.9 mm and lightweight at 495g for 10.1” water resistant tablet
- Dust and water resistant (IP55 & IP57) with a durable glass front display
- Snapdragon S4 Pro processor with 1.5GHz asynchronous quad CPUs and 2GB RAM
- One-touch connectivity with Near Field Communication (NFC)
- A unique OmniBalance design with subtly rounded edges and smooth reflective surfaces
- 8 MP rear camera featuring “Exmor R for mobile” and Superior Auto plus 2MP HD front camera
- Battery STAMINA mode further improves the standby time.
– ENDS –
* Verified in 10” tablet class at time of announcement.
** In compliance with IP55 and IP57, Xperia Z is protected against the ingress of dust and is water resistant. Provided that all ports and covers are firmly closed, the phone is (i) protected against low pressure jets of water from all practicable directions in compliance with IP55; and/or (ii) can be kept under 1 meter of freshwater for up to 30 minutes in compliance with IP57.
*** TV SideView – can be downloaded from Google Play – service depends on country availability
**** Sony Entertainment Network services are subject to availability by region, please see www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.
com for more details.