Sony Ericsson officially announced 4 new smartphones at CES 2012. Two of them (Xperia NX and Xperia acro HD) are for the Japanese market and one of them (Xperia ion) is an LTE exclusive to AT&T in the US. That makes only one (Xperia S) for the International community. More information after the break.
Introducing four new Xperia smartphones at CES 2012
- Xperia S – the first smartphone in the Xperia NXT series – next generation smartphones from Sony.
- Xperia ion – the first LTE smartphone from Sony, exclusive with AT&T in the US
- Xperia NX and Xperia acro HD – two smartphones for the Japanese market
9 January, 2012, Las Vegas, Nev. – Sony Ericsson is showing visitors to the 2012 International CES Show a fully connected entertainment world with the first Xperia™ smartphones from Sony®*, including Xperia S, the first smartphone from the Xperia NXT series – next generation smartphones from Sony, and new Xperia smartphones made specifically for the US and Japanese markets, all with access to premium entertainment services and easy connectivity to other screens within the world of Sony.
The new Xperia smartphones announced are:
- Xperia ion, first LTE Xperia smartphone from Sony available exclusively with AT&T in the US (above right).
- Xperia S, the first smartphone in the Xperia NXT series – next generation smartphones from Sony, with Sony HD for stunning viewing experiences (above left).
- Two new smartphones for the Japanese market:
- Xperia acro HD, the follow-up to Xperia acro with popular Japan-specific features including infrared port data exchange, mobile wallet and mobile TV.
- Xperia NX, a variant of Xperia S for the Japanese market.
Bert Nordberg, CEO for Sony Ericsson commented, “CES marks an important milestone for both Sony Ericsson and Sony with the introduction of the first smartphones from Sony. As the market continues to evolve into a world where we consume content and entertainment across multiple screens, the Xperia portfolio will deliver a mobile experience that is an important cornerstone of Sony’s strategy to provide seamless connectivity and networked entertainment across smartphones, TV, laptops and tablets.”
Sony Ericsson also unveiled a number of Android accessories that enhance the smartphone experience:
- Xperia Smart Tags, small NFC enabled tokens that are used to launch pre-configured and personalised settings when you swipe an NFC Android smartphone against them.
- Smart Wireless Headset pro, Bluetooth™ stereo headset that also works as a standalone MP3 player and radio when detached from the phone.
- SmartWatch, micro display for Android to wirelessly access calls, messages and applications.
- SmartDock for Xperia ion, an HDMI dock that turns Xperia ion into a mini-PC by connecting it to a USB keyboard, mouse and big screen TV.
Xperia S will be available to consumers globally from the first quarter 2012. Xperia ion will be available exclusively in the U.S. from AT&T in the second quarter 2012. Xperia NX and Xperia acro HD will be available in Japan from this spring.
*For illustrative purposes only. Not for commercial use or re-sale. Use of “Sony” brand subject to regulatory approval.
– ENDS –