The beta version of OneMap3D, Singapore Land Authority (SLA)’s open-source 3D city map portal, is finally live. It might not sound exciting initially but hear me out.
For those who knows, OneMap has been around for the longest time. It has very detailed information about Singapore. However, it is in 2D. With OneMap3D, you can literally see Singapore like in the SimCity game (except maybe in low res mode).
Graphic-wise, there are some gaps to close. However, if you explore the options, you will be impressed.
For example, you can set the shadow based on the sun by sliding the timeline. You can also see your perspective from a Window (in a building), at ground level and etc.
Here are some pictures.
At launch, it is very choppy. I guess there are many things they need to tweak to make it smoother. Because of the detailed 3D models, the rendering is very slow.
Do try it out and let me know your experiences.
Do read the Press Release for more information.
Launch of OneMap3D Beta at Singapore Geospatial Week+ 2020
3D Singapore Map Beta Portal Made Available to All
- The Beta version of OneMap3D, Singapore Land Authority (SLA)’s open-source 3D city map portal, is now available for trial to businesses, developers and members of the public. OneMap3D Beta (www.OneMap3D.gov.sg) will be launched on 17 September 2020, in conjunction with Singapore Geospatial Week+ 2020, which runs from 7 to 18 September 2020.
- “With global attention and the trend of digitalisation, we are anticipating steady growth in the geospatial market. This is evident in the effort and resources invested by both the United Nations and the World Bank to strengthen geospatial expertise and adoption around the world. Riding early on the growth through GeoWorks, we envision Singapore to become the GeoHub of the region, with a well-connected industry network, supported by robust geospatial data to drive innovation,” said SLA Chairman Yeoh Oon Jin.
- SLA Acting Chief Executive Simon Ong said, “3D city map provides an immersive view of a user’s surroundings and serves as a dynamic visualisation platform. We hope the Beta version of OneMap3D will catalyse more co-creations of innovative solutions using 3D geospatial data. OneMap3D is continuously enhanced and we want to collaborate with businesses, developers and community users to improve the Beta version.” (See Annex A – OneMap3D Beta sample screen references)
- Since 2010, OneMap has been serving the public as the national map of Singapore with the most authoritative and detailed map information in 2D format. OneMap is a multi-agency collaboration with continuous updates from government agencies for information and services such as navigating for places of interests, hawker centres, parks, sports centres and even heritage trees. Private sector entities and community users have also been leveraging on OneMap’s Application Programming Interface (API), to create useful and value-added services.
- The OneMap3D beta launch features pilot partners and co-developers with innovative use of 3D models. This follows SLA’s initiation in September 2019 for industry collaboration to co-develop the nation’s first open-source 3D map portal.
- In the area of mobility and healthcare, Garuda Robotics has leveraged on 3D urban data from OneMap3D Beta to facilitate the use of drones to rapidly deliver AEDs to cardiac arrest victims within Singapore’s complex urban environment. Garuda Robotics Chief Executive Officer Mark Yong said, “OneMap3D Beta has accelerated our development and deployment of life saving drones in urban Singapore. As a GeoWorks GeoTech, we have been working on drone solutions with the OneMap platform. The availability of 3D data will provide more possibilities and opportunities as we progress to the next phase of innovation with new and optimised solutions for the industry.”
- Property portal MOGUL.sg, a GeoTech based at GeoWorks, is enhancing the property search process for potential buyers to tour properties with OneMap3D Beta. Co-founder and CEO of MOGUL.sg Gerald Sim said, “Covid-19 has changed the situation for many in the real estate industry. The launch of OneMap3D Beta is timely as this allows visitors who come to our virtual exhibition to appreciate an immersive display of the environment of each property. OneMap3D Beta, coupled with virtual walkthroughs of property development projects at the Singapore 1st Virtual Property Expo this October will offer visitors the complete modern solution for home buyers.”
- As one of the first pilot co-developers for OneMap3D Beta, BIMAGE Consulting Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director Ajith Menon said, “We hope that our partnership marks the path towards enhancing and extending the OneMap3D Beta data to support Virtual Design & Construction requirements needed for the built environment industry. This will not only increase productivity but will also open up new business opportunities in asset planning and facility management.”
- Businesses, co-developers and community users interested to try and test the OneMap3D Beta can visit www.OneMap3D.gov.sg.
OneMap is an integrated map system for government agencies to deliver location-based services and information. It is a multi-agency collaboration with many government agencies currently participating and contributing information. It is managed and operated by the Singapore Land Authority on behalf of the government.
It can also be used by the private sector and the community to create useful and value-added services. The public can find locations using intelligent search, get driving directions, public transport routing, obtain comprehensive information contributed by government agencies and explore the maps using a variety of widgets.
OneMap also provides links to other government agencies and commercial organisations, allowing users to access more services from the same platform.
Visit OneMap at http://www.onemap.sg/
GeoWorks is Southeast Asia’s first geospatial industry centre, operated by the Singapore Land Authority. As an industry centre, it aims to foster a vibrant geospatial ecosystem in Singapore and beyond – bringing together geospatial businesses such as MNCs, scale-ups and government agencies to promote business growth, drive innovation and build a diverse, well-connected geospatial community. Under the GeoWorks GeoInnovation programme, GeoWorks currently houses over 30 local and international geospatial start-ups and scale-ups from different industry segments within its facility. GeoWorks also runs regular training sessions, partner and community events. GeoWorks’ key initiatives include GeoChallenges that match solution providers with sector users looking to solve their geospatial issues; joint innovation projects; OneMap3D; and data licensing. For more information, visit www.geoworks.gov.sg or find us on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter @GeoWorksSG.
Singapore Land Authority (SLA) is a statutory board with the Ministry of Law. Its mission is to optimise land resources for the social and economic development of Singapore. SLA manages some 11,000 hectares of State land and about 5,000 State properties, which have largely been tenanted out for a variety of uses. It also manages land sales, leases, acquisitions and allocation, developing and marketing land-related information, and maintaining the national land information database through digitised land information services. Being the national land registration authority for property transactions, SLA issues and guarantees land titles in Singapore. It also manages and maintains the national land survey system, where boundaries or legal limits of properties are defined, based on a coordinated cadastre survey system. The use of geospatial information is also spearheaded by SLA through a national collaborative environment where geospatial data, policies and technologies are established and defined, thereby fostering innovation, knowledge and value creation for the Government, enterprises and community.
For more details, visit www.sla.gov.sg or find us on Facebook and Instagram @SingaporeLandAuthority.