Facebook will be rolling out a payment option via Messenger. It will start with US first. Not sure if other part of the world will get this feature or not. If you think that Facebook is the first to have this feature, WeChat already had it since last year (only in China).
Regardless, this is great news as many of my friends are on Facebook. Now, you can message them O$P$ (Owe Money, Pay Money) officially. Here is a video on how it works.
Here are the steps posted by Facebook
To send money:
- Start a message with a friend
- Tap the $ icon and enter the amount you want to send
- Tap Pay in the top right and add your debit card to send money
To receive money:
- Open the conversation from your friend
- Tap Add Card in the message and add your debit card to accept money for the first time
The money you send is transferred right away. It may take one to three business days to make the money available to you depending on your bank, just as it does with other deposits.
The new payments feature is rolling out in the coming months in the US across Android, iOS, and desktop. Quick, Facebook, I want this feature immediately 🙂 for Singapore market.