Thanks to the Navy invite, I was able to visit our Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN) Formidable-class stealth frigate, RSS Intrepid, at VivoCity Promenade. It was a sight to behold.
The RSS Intrepid will be there from 15th to 17th of March 2013 only. Visitors to the frigate will be able to take a tour of the frigate with an embarked naval helicopter and rigid hull inflatable boats. Besides the frigate’s flight deck, visitors will also be able to have a view of the ship’s bridge, hangar, cabins and dining hall.
A ceremonial sunset will be conducted every day at 7.15pm during the event. A longstanding naval tradition, visitors will be able to witness naval personnel performing the ceremony to lower the ship ensign at sunset in their No. 1 uniform.
Besides exhibits that showcase the RSN’s missions and operations, visitors to the Navy exhibition booth in VivoCity will be able to see some of the weapons and gears used by the naval divers. In addition, young children can also have their photographs taken in the
Navy’s smart whites (No. 1 uniform) and pixelated uniform (No. 4 uniform).
Here is how you to get there: Go to the right of Lobby F (facing VivoCity Promenade) located on Level 1 (Near to Gongcha or St. Marc Cafe). The exhibition hours are from 10am to 9.30pm.
Visit to RSS Intrepid
- Boarding is strictly via tickets only. Same-day tickets are issued at the ticketing counter of the Navy exhibition booth in VivoCity. Ticket timeslots are by the hour.
- The boarding dates and times are as follows:
- 15 March – First boarding: 4pm, Last boarding: 8pm
- 16 & 17 March – First boarding: 10am, Last boarding: 8pm
- In the event of rain, visits to the frigate may be put on hold.
- For the ease of security checks, avoid bringing large bags or bulky items.
- No sandals, slippers or any open-toed footwear.
- Ladies should not be in heels, dresses or skirts.
- Infants in arms, kids below 0.9m or those with mobility problems will not be allowed as they may face difficulties with the steep staircases in the frigate.
I will be uploading more pictures later on the event and the ceremonial sunset. In the meanwhile, don’t miss this chance.