Today, Twitter launches Vine app for iOS (iPhone, iPod Touch). It is a social sharing platform where user can record up to 6 seconds of video. The app is free to download from Apple app store.
The Vine app is very neat and easy to use.
To install the app, search for “Vine”.
- Install the app.
- Click on the Vine. You can log in with Twitter or Facebook.
- First time user will need to create an account with Vine.
- Once you are in, you can explore, check your activity, go to profile or back to Home (as shown below).
- To make your Vine, click on the video icon on the top right corner.
- It will activate your phone camera in square format.
- It will activate the recording when you press on the video screen and stop when you let go your finger.
- You have 6 seconds to record the video.
- Once done, you can click on the “Next” to fill in the caption for your video and also to decide if you want to enable the location, or share it with Vine, Twitter or Facebook.
That is it. You have created a Vine. Here is my first Vine post.
Alkaline water vine.co/v/b5w9QiXgH7m
— Joe Teh (@joeteh) January 24, 2013
As this is a Twitter product, you will be able to see the video on Twitter feed (mobile and desktop).
Basically, I like the record/pause feature. However, you are not able to use any video on Camera Roll. Every video has to be record in-app. It is not a bad thing as it is meant to be a tool for impromptu video.
In terms of creativity, I think Viddy is much more interesting with filter effects, and music input. Anyway, it is too early to conclude. Currently, Vine is only on iTunes and there is no mention of an app for other OSes.