Sorry for the late delivery of this news. Nikon launches Nikon 1 J3, Nikon 1 S1 and a new waterproof case WP-N2 on the 8th January 2013. Basically, these cameras are the continuous improvements from the Nikon 1 family. No pricing and availability details but I urge you to read the Press Release if you want to know more about their features.
NIKON LAUNCHES THE NIKON 1 J3, NIKON 1 S1 AND A NEW WATERPROOF CASE
The Nikon 1 J-series camera is refined for high-speed performance in the world’s smallest
body. The new Nikon 1 series offers intuitive operation that heightens the enjoyment of
digital photography with interchangeable lenses.
TOKYO, 8 JANUARY 2013 – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of two new Nikon 1 advanced cameras with interchangeable lenses that propose new forms of imaging expression.
The first is the Nikon 1 J3, which represents a new branch in the J-series lineup and offers even faster performance in the world’s smallest body*.
The second is the Nikon 1 S1, which establishes a new line of Nikon 1 cameras with intuitive operation that makes using a digital camera with interchangeable lenses even more enjoyable.
Nikon 1 is a compact, lightweight camera system that proposes new ways of using digital cameras with interchangeable lenses, with superior, high-speed performance, beginning with the Advanced Hybrid AF System for optimal focusing. Functions such as Smart Photo Selector and Motion Snapshot ensure capture of the perfect moment, and offer users unique imaging experiences.
In addition to these enhanced features for the new Nikon 1 J3 and Nikon 1 S1, these two cameras are also equipped with a number of new functions.
The Nikon 1 J3 is even faster than previous models, supporting high-speed continuous shooting at approximately 15 fps with AF tracking, all in the world’s smallest body*. Also added is the Slow View function, which enables capture of just the perfect moment, as well as Live Image Control, which allows users to preview the effects of settings in the camera monitor prior to shooting. In addition, the Smart Photo Selector and Motion Snapshot functions have been improved and the camera is equipped with Advanced Movie mode, which enables adjustment of settings (in P, S, A, and M exposure modes) for movie recording. What’s more, the minimalistic design using metal on the front surface of the camera is available in five colour options for a more elegant and precise exterior finish.
The Nikon 1 S1 is the first in the new Nikon 1 series developed for those new to advanced cameras with interchangeable lenses. It offers the same high-speed performance and a variety of functions that enable capture of the perfect moment as the other Nikon 1 cameras do. It is also equipped with a new GUI for even simpler, more intuitive operation. It is available in five colours, including khaki, to suit a wide variety of personalities and preferences.
The Nikon 1 J3 and Nikon 1 S1 both support the Wireless Mobile Adapter WU-1b (sold separately), enabling users to not only transfer high-quality images captured with the camera to a smart device over a wireless connection, but also to use the display on a smart device in place of the camera monitor for remote shooting*.
This function requires installing a Wireless Mobile Adapter Utility to the smart device prior to use. The utility can be downloaded for free from the appropriate application store.
In addition, a waterproof case compatible with Nikon 1 J3 and Nikon 1 S1 (with the 1NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6) will also be released. When used with the Nikon 1 J3 or Nikon 1 S1 camera system, photographic possibilities are greatly expanded with support
for underwater shooting.
● Nikon 1 J3 / Nikon 1 S1 Primary Features
- The world’s smallest body
- The Nikon 1 J3 offers improvements on basic camera functions, yet still has the extremely compact body characteristic of Nikon 1 cameras. It boasts the world’s smallest size* with a width of just 101 mm, a height of 60.5 mm, and a depth of 28.8 mm.
*Among digital cameras with interchangeable lenses equipped with a CX-format or larger image sensor available as of January 8, 2013. Statement based on Nikon research.
- Basic performance that supports even better capture of the perfect shot
- The Advanced Hybrid AF System for superior speed and accuracy
- The cameras are equipped with the Advanced Hybrid AF System, which utilizes both phase-detection AF and contrast-detect AF. Phase-detection AF offers fast focusing and superior tracking of moving subjects. Contrast-detect AF offers superior performance with shooting in dark or dimly lit surroundings. The Advanced Hybrid AF System allows the camera to choose the optimal AF method according to the subject or shooting conditions, for nearly instantaneous focus on a wide variety of subjects, including those in motion.
- The Super High-speed AF CMOS Sensor for the world’s shortest shooting time lag*
- The cameras are equipped with the CX-format, super high-speed AF CMOS sensor developed by Nikon, for superior image quality and high-speed AF. The Nikon 1 J3 and Nikon 1 S1 both offer 135 focus points, including the 73 points for phase-detection AF, resulting in the world’s shortest shooting time lag.* At approximately 15 fps, they also offer the world’s fastest continuous shooting rate* with AF tracking.
- As the latest model in the J series, the Nikon 1 J3 offers a number of advanced specifications. It has an effective pixel count of 14.2-million pixels, and supports a range of sensitivities from ISO 160 – 6400. It can capture up to approximately 22 shots with a single burst of continuous shooting at 15 fps (with AF tracking), and approximately 20 shots with a single burst of continuous shooting at 60 fps (without AF tracking).
- The Nikon 1 S1 has an effective pixel count of 10.1-million pixels, and supports a range of sensitivity from ISO 100 – 6400. It can capture approximately 15 shots with a single burst of continuous shooting at either 15 or 60 fps for a level of performance well suited for simple photography.
* Among digital cameras with interchangeable lenses available as of January 8, 2013. Tested using the 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 at the wide-angle position in Single-point AF mode. Statement based on Nikon research.
* Among digital cameras with interchangeable lenses available as of January 8, 2013. Statement based on Nikon research.
- The EXPEED 3A image-processing engine for faster image processing and even better image quality
- The cameras are equipped with the EXPEED 3A image-processing engine, optimised exclusively for Nikon 1 cameras, for extremely fast image processing. This makes the most of the superior performance the cameras have to offer, with shooting using the Motion Snapshot and Smart Photo Selector functions, as well as other features that require high-speed processing, including high-speed continuous shooting.
- The Advanced Hybrid AF System for superior speed and accuracy
- The Slow View function for better capture of that perfect moment
- Slow View function
- When the Slow View function is enabled, the camera focuses while the shutterrelease button is pressed halfway. It begins buffering images and plays them back in a continuous 5× slow motion loop in the camera monitor. When the frame the user wants to keep is displayed, pressing the shutter-release button down the rest of the way records that frame. This function is convenient for capturing rapidly moving subjects.
- Motion Snapshot that is easier to use with support for specification of the placement of movie portions, the ability to enable vibration reduction, and more
- By simply pressing the shutter-release button, this function records a still image and a slow-motion movie. In playback, the slow-motion movie plays for approximately four seconds and the still image is displayed for six seconds for a total playback time of ten seconds of footage.
- With the Nikon 1 J3 and Nikon 1 S1, new background music can be added or changed even after recording is complete. What’s more, users can choose from two options to specify movie placement in the Motion Snapshot — before and after still image display, or only before still image display. In addition, the electronic vibration reduction (e-VR) function built into the camera is supported and can be used to digitally process Motion Snapshots to reduce the effects of camera shake.
- Improved Smart Photo Selector
- 20 shots (15 shots with the Nikon 1 S1) are taken in quick succession before and after the shutter-release button is fully pressed. The shots determined by the camera to be the best shots are then automatically recorded. The version of this function built into these cameras has a number of improvements, including greater compensation for camera shake and more accurate detection of subject movement, enabling it to better determine the best shot.
- Slow View function
- Improved operation with the Live Image Control function
- The cameras are equipped with Live Image Control that allows users to preview effects such as background softening and brightness control on final photographs. This enables more intuitive operation with a focus on imaging expression, without concern for the numerical values of settings.
- Superior image quality and movie picture quality
- When recording movies in movie mode, high-resolution still images can be captured without interrupting movie recording (Nikon 1 J3: 1080p full-HD movie + approx. 14.2-megapixel / still image 4608 × 3072 pixels, 3 : 2 aspect ratio; Nikon 1 S1: 1080p full-HD movie + approx. 8.3-megapixel / still image 3840 × 2160 pixels, 16 : 9 aspect ratio). In addition, the cameras support recording of more original movies with Advanced Movie mode, which allows for movie recording in P, S, A, and M exposure modes.
- Support for the Wireless Mobile Adapter WU-1b (sold separately) for easy downloading of images on smart devices
Additional Nikon 1 J3 Features
An emphasis on design and improved operation
- An elegant design with the use of metal
- The elegant design is emphasised by its smooth form and the use of metal on thefront of the camera body.
- Available in five elegant colours with lenses to match
- The camera body is available in five elegant colours — silver, red, white, black, and beige. In addition, lenses sold as part of lens kits with camera bodies offer the same colour choices as the camera body. This colour coordination is one of the primary features of the Nikon 1 system, which helps achieve an integrated look.
- Improved controls for even simpler operation
- The camera is equipped with controls that enable intuitive operation of the camera, including a mode dial for simple application of one of five shooting modes — Auto mode, Creative mode, Motion Snapshot mode, Advanced Movie mode, Best Moment Capture mode. It also offers a feature button for selecting Live Image Control, Motion Snapshot theme and more.
Additional Nikon 1 S1 Features
- A variety of colours to suit a wide variety of personalities and preferences, plus simple and intuitive operation
- Available in five colours with lenses to match to express the user’s personality
- The camera is available in our most popular colours to date — black, pink, red and white, plus a new choice khaki.
- Lenses sold as part of lens kits with camera bodies offer the same colour choices. This colour coordination is one of the primary features of the Nikon 1 system, which helps achieve an integrated look.
- Intuitive operation with a GUI that strives for clarity and good visibility
- The GUI built into the camera offers superior visibility with large icons. It is designed with a very simple and streamlined menu structure, and has a colour scheme that makes for clear viewing.
Waterproof Case WP-N2 Primary Features
- Compact and lightweight at approximately 156 × 116 × 128 mm in size, and weighing approximately 750g.
- Despite its lightweight, the waterproof case is optimised for underwater shooting as the camera enclosed in the waterproof case will not float to the surface if it is let go in the water.
- Designed for a firm grip.
- Waterproof to a depth of 40 m makes it suitable for use while diving.
- Lens zooming is supported without the need for additional accessories such as an underwater zoom gear.
- The camera’s flash can be turned off when the camera is placed in the waterproof case.
- The YS-D1 Underwater Flash Unit (optional) enables underwater flash photography.
- Designed for easy access to the shutter lever and movie-record button for smooth switching between recording methods.
- Supports a more advanced underwater housing system with its own accessory shoe, with support for 67-mm diameter filter attachments.
- Images exhibiting natural colours can be achieved when the Underwater white balance option built into the Nikon 1 J3 and Nikon 1 S1 is selected.
Pricing and Availability
The pricing and availability of the Nikon 1 J3, S1 and WP-N2 will be confirmed at a later date.