It is nice to see that more Singaporeans are accepting local blogshops as another shopping site. And there is an increase in mobile shopping too! Thanks to all the apps available. For big brands, I guess the only way to go now is to have a strong presence using apps.
However, in my opinion, please do not do an app for the sake of doing it. Online users are now very selective. Anything that is boring will be forgotten (almost) immediately (IMHO).
Ho Ho Ho! A Merry Christmas for Mobile and Online Shoppers in Singapore
-Mobile and online shopping trends during the 2011 Christmas period
Singapore, January 9, 2012 – Christmas 2011 was a busy period* for mobile and online shopping as Singaporeans shopped online, and on their mobile devices in the hunt for the pe erfect Christmas gift. As per an earlier PayPal study**, Sinngapore’s boom in online shopping is set to cont tinue to reach its forecast of S$4.4 billion in 2015. . For mobile shopping, nearly 7 out of 10 Singaporeans said using their mobile device would be faster annd more convenient because they can make a transaction “anytime, anywhere”***.
Elias Ghanem, managing director, PayPal Southeast Asia and India said, “Online shopping has become mainstream, especially during the festive season as many Singaporeans skipped the long queues, searched online for great deals, and bought gifts from the comfort of their home es. This was the first festive season for mobile shopping to become popular as Singaporeans reached for their smartphones and tablets to enjoy the convenience of shopping anytime, anywhere. Interestingly, Singaporeans planned well ahead for their fest stive online shopping in late November whereas m mobile shopping was widely used for purchases during the week before Christmas.”
First Christmas season that mobile shopping becomes popular in Singapore Mobile shopping was popularly driven by an increasing number of Singaporeans going online via Internet-capable mobile devices s. According to a recent Nielsen report****, smartphone penetration in Singapore reached 70% and close to eight in ten Singaporean digital consumers used their mobile phone to access the Internet in 2011.
Several interesting trends for mobile shopping by PayPal users in Singapore over r the festive season include:
- Mobile shopping sales saw the biggest jump on Sunday, December 4, 20111 (compared to Saturday, December 5, 2 2010) highlighting that many Singaporeans started buying gifts via their smartphones and tablets on the first weekend of December.
- However, the busiest mobile shopping date was December 19, 2011 showing that many Singaporeans rushed to buy gifts last-minute via their mobile devices just in time for Christmas.
- Popular mobile shopping sites in Singapore during the festive season included:
- www.chainreactioncycles.com and www.nutritionpark.com, demonstrating that many Singaporeans were all set to kick off 2012 with a healthier lifestyle.
- www.thatbagiwant.com, revealing that many ladies rented branded handbags for year-end parties and social gatherings.
- www.msig.com.sg, highlighting that many Singaporeans opted for the convenience of purchasing travel insurance on the go for their year-end holidays.
- www.doggyfriend.com.sg, showing that many Singaporeans were even buying Christmas gifts for their four-legged friends.
Online shopping, a more convenient way to shop over the festive season
With one of the highest broadband penetration rates in the world, Singapore is a a digitally-savvy society in which online shopping has become an integral part of Singaporeans’ daily lives.
Here are some noteworthy online shopping trends by PayPal users in Singapore over the festive season:
- • The busiest festive online shopping date was Monday, November 28, 20111 showing that many Singaporeans bought their festive gifts well in advance to benefit from the fabulous online deals on ‘Cyber Monday 2011 ’.
- The biggest spike for online shopping was on December 25, 2011 (versus s December 25, 2010) indicating that Singaporeans couldn’t resist a bargain even on Christmas day as they went shopping for stock-clear ring online deals right after opening their present ts in the morning.
- Popular online shopping g sites in Singapore during the festive season included:
- Daily deal websites w were hot favourites as www.deal.com.sg, www.groupon.sg and plus.bigdeal.sg made it to the top 10 most popular online shopping s sites, demonstrating the growing influence off group-buying sites among Singaporeans to get a great bargain online.
- www.lovebonito.com was the top choice for fashion purchases highlighting that many Singaporean fashionistas preferred a local blogshop over international fashion websites.
- www.babybrandsdirect.co.uk registered the biggest jump in online s sales showing that Singaporeans hunted and found the best online deals for Christmas g gifts for babies and young kids on an overseas website.
*Period tracked – November 24, 2011 to December 26, 2011.
** PayPal Online and Mobile Shopping Insights 2011
*** PayPal Online and Mobile Safety Insights 2011
**** Nielsen Southeast Asia Digital Consumer Report, November 2011
PayPal is the faster, safer way to o pay and get paid online. The service allows members to send payments without sharing financial informaation, with the flexibility to pay using their account balances, bank accounts (where available), debiit cards and credit cards in various markets. PayP Pal is an eBay company and enables global e-commerce with more than 103 million active accounts in 190 markets and 25 currencies around the world. More information about the company can be found at www.paypal.com.sg.
PayPal is headquartered in San Jose, California and its international headquarter rs is located in Singapore.