Update: After trying for whole night, I could not resolve the 80180048 error. So revert back to 7392.
I can’t wait for my phone to prompt me to update Windows Phone 7 to Windows Phone 7.5 Mango. After checking through the Internet, I finally found how to force Mango update using Zune Software. I do not know if there is any risk but I have done it without issue.
Here is the steps taken from WPCentral. Before you start, you must have time and patience. For those without 7392, you will be asked to update to it first. Then, it will update itself to 7403. Finally, the Mango is sitting at 7720. The process will take you hours.
- Connect your Windows Phone to a PC and launch the Zune software
- Click on Phone > Settings > Update. Allow the software to tell you whether an update is available. If so, skip this guide. If not continue to the next step.
- Click the update button again, and this time disconnect your computer from the internet after 1-2 seconds. Do this by pulling the Ethernet cable, disabling Wi-Fi, etc. If it says your phone is already up to date, you didn’t disconnect quickly enough and need to try this step again.
- Wait 30 seconds or so and you should receive a notification that an update is available. This is 7392, the Mango pre-update.
- Now reconnect to the internet and continue with the update process through the Zune software.
- After 7392 is fully installed, you may receive a notification that another update is available. If so, install Mango now. If not, proceed to the next step.
- If the second update isn’t popping up on its own, repeat steps 3-5, causing the 7403 update to appear.
- Install 7403, brave reader.
- Mango time! At this point, Zune should automatically start installing 7720, Mango. If it doesn’t happen automatically, force it like in previous steps.
- This last step is very important! Celebrate your phone’s new found Mango status by purchasing a mango smoothie at your nearest Smoothie King, Jamba Juice, or Baskin Robbins.
Extra note: At step 3, to check for update again, click away to e.g. Link and then click update again, when it started to check, disable your Internet Connection to your computer. Wait for it. If it fails, try again. Good luck.
There, you have it. Windows Phone 7.5 Mango.
Update: After updating to 7403, it tried to update to 7720 but failed. It has a 80180048 error (Walshed phone error, according to my check). However, I did not even walshed my phone in the first place. Very sad to get this error. Here is a screen shot. I will update if I can get a workaround.