Today, Sony Ericsson announces a few new Android smartphones and Smart extras. One of them is Xperia ray and the other Xperia active that is water and dust resistance.
Sony Ericsson debuts new Xperia™ Android smartphones and Smart Extras™
- New Xperia™ smartphones – Sony Ericsson Xperia™ ray and Xperia™ active give consumers access to the worlds of Sony and Android
- Xperia™ PLAY is now available across more markets in Asia Pacific
- New Smart Extras™ designed to enhance the overall Android experience
22 June 2011, Singapore – Sony Ericsson today broadened its portfolio with the introduction of two new Xperia smartphones, a feature phone and Smart Extras™ in conjunction with CommunicAsia 2011 in Singapore. Adding to the Xperia™ portfolio, Xperia™ ray and Xperia™ active both run the latest version of the Android platform for smartphones (Gingerbread 2.3) and deliver unique consumer experiences. The company also announced new Smart Extras™ that enhance the overall Sony Ericsson experience.
“Today’s announcement demonstrates that we continue to deliver a portfolio to make the Sony Ericsson experience available to a broad range of consumers,” said Steve Walker, Chief Marketing Officer, Sony Ericsson. “As the Android platform gains market share in Asia Pacific, the Xperia™ portfolio is well positioned to deliver consumers a unique and differentiated experience.”
Underscoring Sony Ericsson’s commitment to the Android platform, Xperia™ ray and Xperia™ active offer consumers unique design and technology for an entertaining experience.
For those who want a sleek and beautiful design, Xperia™ ray combines a slim 9.4mm form factor with a high quality aluminium frame and a 3.3” screen
- To deliver speed along with stunning visuals and clarity, this Android smartphone contains a powerful 1Ghz processor and uses Sony technology such as Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA® engine and a 8.1mp camera with Exmor R™ for mobile sensor. Xperia™ ray will be available globally in select markets, including Japan, from Q3.
- For consumers with an active lifestyle Xperia™ active has a compact design combined with a number of innovative hardware features including a 3” screen, a powerful 1Ghz processor and a 5mp camera. It is also dust proof and water resistant and uniquely incorporates wet finger tracking.
- This smartphone features a corner user interface which comes pre-loaded with sports apps that enable users to easily track their fitness levels. By using the built-in GPS, barometer and compass in combination with the on-screen heart rate & pulse monitor (enabled by ANT+ wireless networking technology), and the iMapMyFitness app – users can easily monitor their day to day performance. Xperia™ active will be available globally in select markets from Q3.
Xperia™ PLAY in more markets across Asia Pacific:
Sony Ericsson also announced the availability of Xperia™ PLAY, the world’s first PlayStation® certified smartphone to three additional markets in Asia Pacific in Q3 – Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand. Australia, India and Singapore have already launched this model.
- With more than 100 titles now confirmed for Xperia™ PLAY, the ever-growing ecosystem offers a broad range of games that appeal to all types of gamers.
- New titles include Minecraft™, one of the fastest growing game franchises in history and Tom Clancy’s Rainbow 6 Shadow Vanguard by Gameloft.
Smart Extras™ – a new way of experiencing applications and services:
Sony Ericsson also announced two new Smart Extras™ – LiveDock™ multimedia station and LiveSound™ hi-fi headset that enhance the overall Android experience.
- LiveDock™ gives consumers the ability to seamlessly integrate their Sony Ericsson smartphone into their home. By simply connecting their smartphone to the docking station, consumers will be able to easily launch applications from the Android Market™ and charge their phones at the same time. LiveDock™ will be available globally in selected markets from Q3.
- LiveSound™ provides consumers with the best possible audio experience combined with a stylish, tangle-free design. The headphones also allow consumers to remotely access applications from the phone through LiveKey™ control, which gives consumers direct access to their applications with a simple push of a button. LiveSound™ will be available globally in select markets from Q3.
Additionally, Xperia™ arc, Xperia™ PLAY, Xperia™ X10, Xperia™ X8 and Xperia™ neo owners in U.S., France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Spain, the U.K., Australia and New Zealand can now gain access to Sony’s recently announced “Music Unlimited” powered by Qriocity™ app on the Android Market.
The cloud-based, digital music service gives music lovers anytime, anywhere streaming access to an ever expanding catalogue of currently over seven million licensed songs from major labels.
Sony Ericsson today also announced Sony Ericsson txt, a feature phone aimed at providing consumers with specifications inspired by Xperia™ at an affordable price.
- Sony Ericsson txt presents an excellent opportunity to message on the move with a full QWERTY keyboard. The 2.6” screen and incorporates an SMS shortcut key for easy and fast messaging. It also comes equipped with a “friends” application that enables users to see Facebook™ and Twitter™ updates at a glance from their top five friends. Sony Ericsson txt will be available globally in selected markets from Q3.
For full details on all the products announced today, please visit: